Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I'm trying to SAVE YOUR LIFE here.

Brown rice is boring. And gross. Often times both. I always order it in restaurants because it always tastes perfect and nothing like the brown rice I know. Then when I make it at home, the end result has me walking around my home looking for holes in the wall to patch with it. Blech. I don't know how I'm screwing that up. Like...... boiling water? Is like...... hard.

So this tip is for those of us who can't help but equate brown rice with that scene in The Lost Boys, when Jason Patric's take-out turns into little tan squiggly larvae because right before that, Kiefer Sutherland put him under a voodoo vampire spell and then Kiefer flies off to squelch a couple of terrorist threats in the neighborhood. Then while he's doing that, Jason Patric runs off with Julia Roberts right before Kiefer and Julia's wedding. I say "runs off" because Julia looks pretty healthy and she probably got that way by eating lots of brown rice. Brown rice that doesn't look like maggots.


Anyway, I've been using a mix of good ole fashioned brown rice (takes a loooong time to cook) and boil in a bag (which only takes 10 minutes). After you prepare the rice according to the instructions, chop up a couple of green onions and add it to the rice while it is still all steamy. Mix it all up and give it a couple minutes before plopping some on your plate.


Here's the rice I've been enjoying all week. If anyone else tries this, I'd love to hear your reaction. That is if you survive the whole stake-through-the-heart, vampire stalking situation.

6 comments:

In My Head Studios said...

we bought a rice cooker for the squishy brown rice problem but have yet to fire it up. i'll let you know if it makes the world go 'round.

sheasy said...

PLEASE do! My rice cooker yields a nice mushy paste... sigh.

sweetcheese said...

Thanks for trying to save my life, and for enticing me to see Lost Boys!

Jerdre53 said...

Remember that time we tried to rent The Lost Boys when we were in Santa Cruz, but they were all rented out? It's enticing on so MANY levels, it seems.

Kallia said...

This sounds like a good idea. I also like to add some kind of vegetable or meat stock in place of my rice water to help with the flavor.

Anonymous said...

The Zojirushi NS-LAC05 Micom 3-Cup Rice Cooker is the key to great brown rice, as well as other grains, and even steel cut oatmeal! Partnered with a book called, "The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook" I use my rice cooker several times a week.