Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Orange you glad this isn't a knock knock joke?

This is a page from my Wreck This Journal (Keri Smith) journal. The overall point of the journal is to destroy it and in doing so, learn a little bit about your creative process. This task is to collect stickers you've peeled off of fruit and collect/arrange them on this page.

I have neglected this page for MONTHS until today when I was eating a pear and all of a sudden I had the desire to put the little green and red sticker... some place... what am I collecting these things for? Oh yeah, that journal page thing.

So when I opened this, I have to say, I was a little disappointed at what I had left. I am clearly "organizing" these. The biggest challenge with this page for me is that I only get to add a single sticker at a time, so the end result will have been completed over a seriously long period of time. So no planning, no vision. Just a dot here or there.

So, one month from today on February 23rd, I'll post this page again and hopefully, I will have been a bit more inventive. Here are little reminders to myself:
  • Use the entire space (both sides of the journal).

  • Alter the stickers. Don't feel the need to keep the stickers intact.

  • Let go of my perception of balance. I can see where I am making sure the color is distributed evenly. STOP THIS.

Also, am I the only one that worries about plums also being known as a "4040" all over the country as well as all over the world? I suspect this Produce Dewey Decimal System will come in very handy when the aliens invade, so they'll be able to tell the difference between a white nectarine (a 3035) and a plain ole nectarine (a 4378). Just sayin'.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this blog. I do not think i could ever be that committed. Your etsy store rocks. I just opened mty second shop. it is addictive!!

Jerdre53 said...

Hmmm. I think this is a project Alison would love to do, also. I may steal the idea from you. Although, Alison will want to peel all of the stickers off the fruit in the fridge RIGHT NOW!

sweetcheese said...

This page is the most complete in my copy because I get to steal Mr. Man's fruit stickers too. I am not above cheating for art.
-Tanya

Kallia said...

This journal is great! :)
I'm going to have to get one. I can't wait to see your update in February!