Friday, March 14, 2008

The perfect dessert for your already drunk friends


Get your green on
Originally uploaded by sheiladilling
Last year I made a Guinness chocolate cake and I have to tell you it was the moistest, bestest cake ever. It definitely smells like beer, so there is no way you will trick your friends by asking, "Guess what's in it?" Because Guinness is very pungent. But the taste is very subtle. I would describe it as kinda nutty tasting. It's absolutely delicious and if you don't like your sweets to be ultra-sweet, you will like this. And again, SOOOOO moist.

So here you go. If you've got a potluck or you are trying to come up with something for St. Patty's day, TRY THIS! (I wish I could remember where I found this recipe. I did a little searching and it is very close to Nigella Lawson's, but I am not sure. It appears here as it is in my recipe box).

One tip: as I whisked ingredients in I left the pot on the heat turning it down to simmer as I added more stuff. You will see the batter "puff" up.

1 cup Guinness
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons butter, sliced
3/4 cup cocoa (splurge and get the good stuff - I used Ghiradelli)
3/4 cup sour cream
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 eggs (at room temperature)***
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla

*** Very important! Do not improvise!!!!

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter (or spray with cooking oil) a 9 inch pan thoroughly. In a large pot combine Guinness and butter and heat until until butter is melted. Whisk in cocoa and sugar. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, eggs and vanilla. Pour into pot, whisk to combine. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and flour. Add to pot, whisking to combine. Pour into prepared pan and bake about 45 minutes or until a toothpick (inserted into the middle of the pan) comes out clean.

I used store bought whipped cream cheese frosting, but just a very thin layer. If you are the type that doesn't mind whipping out the mixer to make their own frosting than you are my hero. I, for one, hate cleaning those beaters and therefore will forever worship at the altar of Betty Crocker.

4 comments:

sweetcheese said...

I can't wait to get my greedy little hands on the cake!

joonbeam said...

This sounds irresistible, Sheasy! I must make one. I dream of the day you and I meet in person and dine on tea and cake and you worship at the altar of a joonie frosted delight! Passing this along to my son, too. He'll make it immediately I bet. Have you ever made guiness beef pie? Yum!

sheasy said...

Oh, joon, that would be GREAT! Joonie frosted delight? I have no idea what it is but I definitely want some!

Tiffany Teske said...

Oh My GOD, I love chocolate cake and I love Guiness! There cant possibly be a better combo! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE! Now I am totally excited for st Pattys day... Oh, and if you and Joon meet, I wanna come, too :)