Sunday, June 29, 2008

Fruits of the Loom, er, Tree

If I ever own my own property, I want fruit-bearing trees and plenty of room for a garden. While I've been able to get my fix temporarily with the little community garden we got going, I was lucky enough to pick apricots and golden plums from the over-burdened branches of a family friend's backyard.

This is just just a fraction of the fruit we picked:

Right off the Tree

The apricots are so ripe that you can push the pit out with your fingers and pop them right in your mouth. And they are so sweet that they taste like sherbet or jam. I spread one just by itself onto an english muffin and it as PERFECT.

Apricots

I had never had a golden plum before. These are a little tangier than good old fashioned plums, but make a great snack. I'm trying to find a recipe that uses A LOT of plums to really emphasis their flavor. I'll post what I find.

Golden Plums

In the meantime, I'm trying to think of what I can make out of the multitudes of pits I am collecting. I'm thinking a snazzy anklet or a lanyard, perhaps.

6 comments:

180/360 said...

I am soooooooo envious. Those look amazing!

Jane @ Kidzarama said...

Drool... I can taste them!

RainforestRobin said...

OH MY GOD!!! What amazing photos! The colors and layout are beyond delicious. They totally excite the senses. Boy it makes me think about how badly we need to see vibrant colors and the affects they have on how we feel. This is just a COMPLETELY happy photo. It doesn't get any better than this. Seriously. What a great idea.

sheasy said...

Thanks! I wish I could share some of these with each of you...

Bird said...

Oh good lord, straight after a HUUUUGE breakfast you show me this? Now I am DYING for fresh apricot, positively dying. And all I have is two very old dried apricots in a plastic bag at the front of the cupboard. Oh well, at least they are accessible :D

Zoli said...

the second picture is amazing and increase my appetite :) Also your blog is realy nice! Congratulation!