Sunday, June 8, 2008

GazpaJO

While I was in Arizona, my cousin Jo made some fantastic gazpacho. She refers to it as "power" food since it is chock full of vitamins and healthy natural stuff. All I know is, when I put it in my tummy, my tummy said, "Thank you very much, Jo". I'm posting the recipe below (not sure Jo's source - she is a collector of many fine recipes). The big plus? No stove! So as it gets hotter outside, I'm sure I will be eating more and more of this for lunch or a quick dinner. This is a double batch, so half this and process/blend everything in batches unless you have a large crowd to feed.

Along the same note, the garden is looking great! So when I make my gazpaJO it will be with lots of fresh veggies I helped plant and weed and stuff (you might notice this has a WHOLE lot of ingredients, but trust me every one is worth it). I added more garden pics to my flickr set so check it out, but see what I'm talking about (below)?


Almost ready!



GazpaJO:

28 oz. can diced tomatoes (low sodium if available)
3 cups tomato juice (low sodium if available)
2 1/2 cups cucumber, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and diced
3/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 shallots
2 garlic cloves
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp paprika
1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Tabasco

In the blender (or food processor), smooth tomatoes, tomato juice, cucumber, carrots, bell peppers, red onion, shallots, and garlic. Once smooth add red wine vinegar, lemon juice, paprika, fresh herbs, pepper, and Tabasco. Chill before serving. Thanks, JoMama!!

3 comments:

Tiffany Teske said...

Can't wait to try it, thanks Sheasy and Jo!

Tiffany Teske said...

PS I used to have a cute lil red tshirt that said JOE across the chest and MAMA across the back, LOL!

sheasy said...

I definitely need to get my cousin a shirt like that. She is the eldest of 17 cousins and always got left babysitting us! She's our JoMama!