Sunday, July 6, 2008

Next? Running with Scissors.

Earlier this week, I was running low on dog food for Piper. Miraculously, I kept finding bags of food stashed here or there... in an overnight bag, a different purse, etc. I was saved!

Inevitably, the Dog Food Fairy stopped making deposits and there wasn't a single brown nugget to be found in the place. So what does a responsible dog owner do? Crumble up dog cookies and put those in the bowl, of course.

Piper was ecstatic. I imagine it's the equivalent of a parent feeding their kid ice cream three times a day. I'm the best mom ever! Almost immediately, I started feeling guilty. While technically I WAS feeding her DOG FOOD, I'm not sure if cookies can sustain a chihuahua-terrier for very long. So, I gave myself a very stern scolding. Then I convinced myself to get thee to the supermarket! And then I boiled some chicken and put that in the bowl. So instead of dessert, my kid's been eating lobster for their three squares a day.

Today, I went to change the sheets on my bed. What did I find buried at the end of the bed? A chunk of dog cookie. Then I looked around. Hmph. There's another one over there under the rug. And another one under the sofa. And yet another one in the corner. Either the Dog Food Fairy had returned or the Easter Bunny has been covering his shift. OR... Piper found these cookies so precious that she decided to save them for later and has hidden them all over our home.

Gotcha. I just hauled a 20 pound bag of little brown nuggets up the stairwell. Now, eat your peas!!!

7 comments:

Kristin H. said...

Hi! I found you on All Mediocre. I think your post is priceless. I am a "dog cookie crumbler" as well, however, I own a German Shepherd so it doesn't buy me much time. And I seem to run out of dog food like CRAZY. The dog might be having parties while were out and her friends are eating all the food....

Ann said...

Awww...it's so cool that he hid those treats. I really wonder what the taste difference is between treats and dog food. I'll never know.

I've never had a dog, but I once watched my parents dogs for a week. I gave them treats ALL the time. They eventually gained so much weight that when my parents came back they couldn't believe how fat they got. By the end of the week I was offering treats and they wouldn't even move. They knew there was more where that came from.

Maura said...

Funny! I've contemplated having to make cat treats into dinner for mine, but I'm too afraid to spoil him -- he's too fond of food as it is. I don't dare run too low or he'll meow me to death!

thecoconutdiaries said...

I feel your pain! I've been sleeping on a sheetless bed for almost 2 weeks and I gave my cats chicken because I didn't feel like looking for the can opener.

RainforestRobin said...

This is adorable!!! So well written, very warm and funny. I loved it. It makes sense that animals gather and hide/hoard food. So they won't starve. So in light of that it goes to show you that your dog's survival instincts came in handy... LOLOL See, he knew what he was doing. He took one look at you when he moved in and said, "Okay, she looks really kind, warm, loving....BUT maybe not really organized. That's all right....I'll just start hoarding doggie biscuits for those LEAN days when she just can't get her butt to the grocery store....ya, this'll work. Now where shall I start hiding them?" LOL LOL LOL :) :)

Hugs, RainforestRobin :) :)

sheasy said...

HA! Yes, Robin I think you are very wise! I am still finding bits of cookie here and there. Darn survival instincts!!!!!!! Now if i could only trigger the dog's instinct to vaccuum.....

createitcottage said...

I have done the exact same thing before. I've also given the dogs cat food which they love. Sometimes I just can't bring myself to make that trip to Wal-mart. My SO caught our little girlie trying to bury a piece of cantaloupe in the couch today. We call her our little fruit rat.