Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Professor Plum, in the Kitchen, with the Frying Pan

I promised a plum recipe. And since that promise was made, there has been a second plum attack. This time my friend, Jen, is responsible for supplying POUNDS of good ole fashioned plums ready to be eaten up, yum.

So, I found a Rachel Ray recipe over on the Food Network site that seemed easy enough. When I read the ingredients I thought, "Ray-Ray, you crazy! Putting black pepper in a glaze for fruit"? It turned out delicious and it took less than ten minutes. Also you get 100 fancy points for making this. (Please pardon my lackluster food photography below. It really IS delicious)!

Here are the plums, halved and pitted with a dab of olive oil, before.....

Plums Under Fire

And then about two minutes later, here they are all broken down and gooey:

Break it Down!  Plums in the Pan

Of course, I did make a couple switcheroos to the recipe that appears below. First, RR wants you to grill the plums on the stove, which seemed kinda messy to me. So, I cooked the plums in a non-stick pan with a tiny bit of olive oil. Also, turns out I am OUT of vanilla extract, so I substituted with some really good maple syrup. Lastly, I doubled the plums and halved the glaze because I'm just not a saucey kind of girl. Here's the end result:

Plums with Balsamic Glaze

Delicious! These are sweet and tart and the balsamic glaze is just the right touch to make a warm dessert still taste like summer. Definitely eat these with a scoop of GOOD vanilla ice cream (you know the kind with all the tiny specks of vanilla bean in it). Here's the break down:

Balsamic Glazed Grilled Plums
4 ripe plums, halved and pitted
a small amount of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

*Preheat pan to medium-high heat
*Drizzle fruit with a small amount of olive oil (just to keep them from sticking to the pan)
*Cook fruit, about 2-3 minutes
*Pour vinegar in a small pot and heat to medium-high heat
*Bring vinegar to a boil and reduce by half
*In a separate bowl, whisk sugar, lemon juice, and pepper. Whisk in warm vinegar.
*Place fruit on plates with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
*Drizzle with glaze

Also... I never mentioned I signed up for NaBloPoMo for the month of July, which means I aim to post every day this month. Phew! The theme is food, so some of the posts this month may be tastier than others. One thing for sure, ALL of them will be 100% calorie, fat, and sugar-free with no trans fat or preservatives but lots and lots of RIBOFLAVIN.

7 comments:

Crystal said...

That sounds de-lish. I'm a huge plum fan.

Ann said...

MMMM... sounds good. I love plums! I'm going to have to try this.

sweetcheese said...

Mmmm...tasty, tasty ribolavins.

la said...

I made this!

mollie said...

Hooray! I have a bunch of really ripe plums! I'm making this tonight!

moni said...

Hey sheasy!
Absolutely awesome and the photogrsphy is not bad at all! It looks delicious enough - almost too good!
Will try when the plums are ripe here - and report back!
http://vegetarianonthecheap.blogspot.com/

sheasy said...

I would love to hear how it turns out! The glaze has gotten mxied reviews, but I really think it goes well with the ice cream.