Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Red, Red, Whine

As part of my cable-induced-coma-weekend, I watched a marathon of Mad Men on AMC - a very layered show chock full of symbolism, smoking, drinking on the job, and endless sexual harassment in the workplace. It's impeccable in how it is true to the year that it takes place, 1960, down to the wardrobe and make-up. The furniture alone had me drooling. (It's really the writing that will get you tangled up in these character's lives in no time).

And now that my eyes are all glossy from soaking up all that TV, I have been obsessed with making my lips as glossy as the fab foxes on the show. I need to find the perfect shade of red lipstick/gloss. I'm not sure how I have made it this far in my adult life without accomplishing this feat. What I am shooting for is something that captures the style of Rachel or Joan or Peggy or the yummiest of all, the perfect Betty.

This has been a lifelong obsession really, only now there is this tremendous amount of urgency that has me believing my limbs are going to start falling off if I do not have perfect, pouty, red lips. I have a drawer full of failed options, many of which are too orange or too matte or too sheer. I bought some "cherrylicious" gloss last night. Behold the product and results on my disappointed lips:

Lip Bomb

This is not even as red as cherry Chapstick! If any one has tips on how they've found the perfect shade of red OR if you found it and think I ought to give it a try, leave a comment. My naked lips are panting in anticipation.

13 comments:

Esther V. said...

Ugh, I know how irritating it is to find that perfect shade of red. I took a look at the pictures of the reds you like. The problem with finding the "perfect red" is that there are just so many shades of them! I think MAC has the best selection of shades of reds, and what's even better is you can test it out on your skin. That's where I always get my reds. Viva Glam comes to mind :) Also, I recently bought a lip gloss from Benefit's "Her Glossiness V.I.P" line. The color I got is "Next Question Please." Take a look at that on the Sephora site...the color looks a little more red than it does in the description picture. If you prefer a gloss, this gloss has enough punch without being too heavy like a lipstick. It's not sticky like most lip glosses either which is nice. Good luck in your quest to find the perfect red.

Esther V. said...

Forgot to mention, if you decided to go with a gloss, I highly recommend you use a lip liner too. (remember to blend the line and bleed the color through. No "chola" lips!) It will also keep the lip gloss from bleeding /cracking aanndd it makes the color last longer too. OK, I'm done.

Wendy said...

Gosh, it just ALL DEPENDS! Do you want orangey-red, purpley-red, bluish-red, cherry red, fire engine red, or "true" red (whatever that means)? Have you tried the dual lipsticks... where they have the color on one end & the gloss on the other end? I use something like this & like it. Various brands have these.

The one thing I don't recommend are the "all day" lipsticks - these crack and split and become permanently part of your lips for days and days. It takes a jackhammer to get it off, and in the meantime you look like you have lip leprosy.

Suellen (Alpha & Omega) said...

Having graduated from high school in 1960 (yikes, I'm OLD!), I can tell you that we didn't wear bright red lipsticks. The beatnik influence had arrived, meaning lips that were very, very pale. Which means at least some of us actually wore white lipstick. Black eyeliner, too. They did wear red lipsticks earlier in the 50's, though. By the way, I like your site!

firerobin said...

Man Men is my favorite show! And yes, the furniture is definitely candy for the eyes.

Season 2 starts Sunday!

la said...

It's not the perfect red but it's still quite good

Bird said...

I'm fascinated by lipstick but have NEVER found the perfect red. I just look like a terrifyingly pre-aged toddler who's smeared her mums lippy all over her face. I salute your ongoing search and hope you find the one for you!

JD at I Do Things said...

Hmmm. I actually like that shade. I look horrific in anything too bright. Did it make your lips plump up? I'm kind of scared of that whole thing . . .

JD at I Do Things

Jaimee said...

I've got a favorite Red Gloss...it's Clinique's Ruby Melt. I just went to their site to find a link but couldn't find it. When they have it, I buy in bulk. It's just the right amount of red and not obnoxious!

Jaimee said...

ooo, here's the link:
http://www.clinique.com/templates/products/sp_shaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY4903&PRODUCT_ID=PROD536
It goes fast! I guess it's pretty popular.

Maura said...

Have you tried looking for shade suggestions at MakeupAlley? (www.makeupalley.com) I get a lot of good ideas and reviews of products I might want to try from there.

For instance, I looked up Jaimee's suggestion of Ruby Melt, and found 15 different reviews about womens' experience with it. Since so much depends on your skin tone with makeup, I find it helpful to see if there's someone with similar coloring commenting, and there usually is.

You have to sign up to be able to access the reviews, but I've belonged for years and they don't bug you with a lot of mail. I think I've saved myself from buying a number of things that wouldn't work for me by checking there!

180/360 said...

You are the second person today that recommended this show. I will have to check it out!

sheasy said...

OK: I have taken DILIGENT notes and will report back on this extremely pressing issue.

Thank you, friends!!