Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Saturday

Wake up without an alarm clock
New shampoo smells of a tropical retreat
Swap plain shoes for red flats at the last minute
Arrive late, but at the same time as everyone else for brunch
Mimosas, bacon, and French toast that is custard-like on the inside
Swap updates with a friend with well-deserved good news
See a charming little boy in place of the baby seen a year ago
Choke up, again and again, over Christian the Lion
Pack the cooler for a road trip
Twenty minutes later, not a building in site
Wide open golden fields, farmer stands, winding roads
Stop at a winery where "everybody knows your name"
Outside a flurry of hummingbirds maneuver
Back on the road, across another county line, at the top of the hill
Miles and miles in view from every direction
More wine, hot mystery mustard, squeezing two cases in the trunk
Mad dash to beat closing time at a favorite spot
Branches mist from above, raspberry champagne, a schnauzer
Picnic under a tree, by a glistening pond, five good friends
Cherry tomatoes, goat cheese, salami, crackers, mustard
Cool green grass underfoot
Cat tails: spotted, picked, plucked, and showering fluffiness
Back on the road, stop at a gas station: new sunglasses for everyone
Windows rolled down, singing along to ABBA full blast, chasing the sun
home

10 comments:

Andrea said...

Sounds like a WONDERFUL time!

Maura said...

Oh, what a wonderfully vivid picture. I think I want to road trip with you now. :-)

sheasy said...

Maura: Definitely! It was a great day.

Esther V. said...

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the day!

Judy Haley (coffeejitters) said...

Awesome. I need a day like that

Jen said...

You captured the day beautifully!

Jaimee said...

It all sounds so wonderful!

180/360 said...

Mimosas, Bacon and Custardy French Toast? I want to go there. Wherever there is. :)

RainforestRobin said...

Oh dear Shesy, this is SO delightful I can hardly believe it. What an creative way to tell a day. I NEVER thought of doing it like that. I am going to have to try this and see if I can do it one day with a post. I tend to be very verbose. So it will be a fun challenge. I think doing it for ANY day would make us more aware of how much we do in any given day. It would make us see our lives better, maybe claim the things that at the time seem insignificant but are truly great joys. You are SO vivacious and alive. Always be so. It suits you very very much. I relate to it!!! Hugs, Robin

PS been running behind because I cracked a rib. Healing now. I'm off for two days with my sweetheart! YEAH!!!

Inspired... said...

Best day ever. So many of those things are high on my list of favorites, too!