Saturday, July 12, 2008

Thrifty Art Gift (Pt. 1)

Every once in a while, I come up with the perfect gift for someone. Such is the case with my friend, Tanya. Here was my criteria: I knew I wanted to make something and not buy it. Check. That something should be made from found or thrift materials. No prob, I got a bit of that. Lastly, the something should be about being ready to create.... and an idea was born!

I had bought a framed seahorse print from the thrift shop a while back. I took it apart and painted the frame a wonderful shade of orange and sealed it with some ModPodge. I made a line drawing of an old school pencil sharpener to fit the frame. It was exactly what I wanted to convey with this gift: a little retro with a message about being prepared for the next wave of inspiration. Here is a before and after:

Tanya's gift - Before (icky print) Tanya's gift - After


So, YAY! for taking a print that probably hung across from some one's toilet into something a little more interesting. But this story isn't over!! See the next post for the conclusion to this story. (Don't you love a good suspense tale?)

No comments: