Monday, October 27, 2008

A little of this and that...

First: Please vote. I am utilizing the handy-dandy absentee ballot this year, which came in SO helpful as I am barely remembering to put gas in my car these days (by the way, gas here in OK is $1.99/gallon - for a split-second this morning, I suspected it might just be Pepsi I was putting in my tank, but hey, if caffeine can power the people of the nation, why not my Saturn VUE?) So, checkmark, all done with that.

I did get these buttons in the mail today that I received as a thank you for a small donation:

Get your Button on.

I love this retro style of campaign button. These buttons are something I will come across in 20 years or so and remember back on what an amazing election year this has been. So, however, you feel about who should be the next president, I hope you are as energized as I am about the future of our country.

OK, that was supposed to be short. Oh, well. I haven't been blogging so I guess it makes sense if I go on and on and waste a whole additional sentence on how I am going on and on. And now I have Journey stuck in my head. It "goes ooon and ooon and ooon and ooooooon". (This is the part where my friend Jen and I start jumping up and down and screaming our heads off. So, now I am singing and smiling and remembering to never wear high heel boots to see a Journey cover band because you will end up walking home in your socks and your friend will never let you forget about it because she is that type of friend***.)

I bought something new for my apartment:

Sun Mirror

I got this little mirror at a tiny, out-of-the-way shop I found called Target. Maybe you've heard of it? It's the first thing I have bought for my new place and it is the only thing that is hanging up, so far. It makes me very, very happy.

Settling in

GRATUITOUS PUPPY SHOT!!!

IMG_3260

I got to hang out with this puppy all weekend long. Her name is Bella, she is a bulldog and she is 3 months old and this picture does her rolls of chub absolutely no justice. We have already decided to be BFFs and we will ONLY marry boys that are also BFFs and we'll live next door always and of course, name our first borns after each other. I am making her a friendship bracelet out of bacon and she is making one for me out of drool.

I also finally got to go to one of my favorite places that I have missed for so long while living in California:

Hello Heaven, thou art a Cracker Barrel

The infamous Cracker Barrel. I had a boyfriend who lived in Tennessee and these are at every exit in that state. Delicious sweet tea, country gravy and biscuits, and a delightful concoction called hashbrown casserole. They also have a country gift shop and checkerboards everywhere, so you can play while you wait (in addition to the little triangle-tee game at your table). The best part is the delightfully creepy artwork though:

IMG_3263 IMG_3264

This place is covered in portraits of babies and dogs hanging out. I wanted one of these so bad, but even with my big ole purse, didn't think I could swing it. Time to find the local thrift shops.....

In the last post, I mentioned my first project in the new place. I am eager to get some ideas. A hint: it's my bathroom. That is not really a hint, but what I am trying to say is, there is a whole other level to this project. So be thinking: cool, lofty, powder room thoughts. I'll be posting pics soon and then maybe we can ride this wave of inspiration into a new jacuzi tub for me (not really in the budget - sad to say).

(***If you were wondering: Jen wore the boots that had to be thrown away and I am the friend who every once in a while says, "Remember that time we saw Wonderbread 5? And we jumped up and down all night and you were wearing new boots? And you threw them in the trash can right there? And the parking lot was all gravel? And your feet already hurt from the shoes? And we went to Mel's Diner afterwards because we were so hungry? And we were worried they would notice you were only wearing socks? And then we looked for a "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" sign? And we were afraid they would kick us out like we were at a 7-11? But they didn't and then we ordered pancakes?" Jen's usual response: "Yes". So that is the kind of friend I am.... the best kind.)

13 comments:

mary said...

The puppy is soooo cute! It almost makes me want to get a dog.(I said almost:oP)

Shannon said...

This dog kid thing is completely funny...HBO has a new show (True Blood - yes I am completely obsessed) and one of the characters has the painting on the left hanging on his wall in his office...I love that you found it

so NOT cool said...

I am totally digging on the retro-looking Obama buttons.

I have a very, very similar piece on my wall. *looking for photo* Okay, so I can't find a photo in under five minutes, but I love my piece (from West Elm), so I am definitely loving yours.

DJ said...

What an adorable puppy!

Vixen said...

I love that mirror. And the puppy. I can see why you are going to be BFFs forever. Can't wait to hear about your project.

gingela5 said...

That pup is SO cute I can hardly stand it! And I was waiting for gas to dip below 2 bucks--I knew it was close! And cute mirror! Love Target!

stef said...

Love those Obama buttons!

That has to be the cutest puppy ever and that mirror is SO cool.

I'm excited to hear about your project! My husband & I are moving in December and I can't wait to get there and start giving the place a makeover. Until then I'll just have to live vicariously through you =)

Maura said...

I don't know which I'm more excited about, the $1.99 gas or the puppy.

Hmm. Yeah, the puppy wins every time! TOO FREAKIN' CUTE. I hope you will post more adorable shots of her for us to sigh over.

Andrea said...

I am drinking up your post like a tall glass of sweet tea. I love it!

Jen said...

It's so nice to have you back!!! You are the best kind of friend.. You're making me belly laugh!

Tiffany Teske said...

Love the Obama pins. Have always wanted a mirror like that, and who would have guessed, TARGET! Super cute puppy. Ohmigod, CRACKER BARREL! I have been there and my purse was big enough to take a mug... no, I am not proud of it now, but I was young and needed it for my apartment... I TOTALLY have an idea for your bathroom...

Esther V. said...

Hi Sheila! So glad you're making friends in OK already, the puppy is ADORABLE! Love the mirror, LOVE the buttons!

Losing Myself said...

It's always good to have a puppy shot.

That just sounds wrong. Maybe I should say it's always good to include a puppy picture.