Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Butternutty

A recipe for butternut bisque caught my eye in this month's Thanksgiving issue of Everyday Food. I made it - it was incredibly simple and absolutely delicious. It was the first meal I cooked in my new place and by cooked I mean, it required more than taking something out of the package and scarfing it down.

I will say this: the most labor intensive part is peeling and dicing the squash, but then you will be home free.

Perhaps, maybe you are from Oklahoma and do not know what the heck a butternut squash is and why in the world you would ever want to eat one. That is somewhat the reaction I got from the folks at my local grocery store when trying to locate my main ingredient. After holding my ground that a cantaloupe would not make a suitable substitute, the butternut was located under a mountain of yams. Of course, that did not keep the checkout girl from asking if it was that "mexican-potato-thing-that-starts-with-a-J". I am thinking she means jicama, but maybe it is I that is out of the loop on that one.

Here's how it turned out:

7 comments:

Tiffany Teske said...

Yummy! I have so been wanting to make this, thanks for letting me know it is simple and good. I am still laughing that someone thought a cantaloupe would replace a squash...

stef said...

Oh wow, that looks really good! Thanks for the recipe share, I might have to make some of this soon.

gingela5 said...

Looks good. But since I'm from OK I don't really know what to do with one of those buttery things. :)

OMYWORD! said...

This reminds me of a time when I was living in Huntsville Alabama and decided to have a little dinner party and cook Indian food. One of my fav recipes is ground lamb mixed with egg, garlic, cumin and cinnamon, pressed flat on a cookie sheet & broiled. So, I went to the PIGGLY WIGGLY (no sh*t) to get some lamb. I had to get the butcher out behind the counter because he kept saying, "It's in the cooler!" Finally, with disgust, he said, "Look, it was here just like I said." As he pointed to the ground pork. I, equally disgusted, said, "Not oink, oink! Bahhh, Bahhhh!"

Imagine that. A butcher who didn't know what lamb was! Ahhh. So glad not to be living there anymore!

Your soup look lovely. Makes me want to cook some up right now!

Nicole said...

Please tell me you're joking about the grocery store encounter. That's just not funny...even thought I was laughing!

Can't wait to try the soup, and hope you're enjoying your new abode.

180/360 said...

I made one a few years ago for Thanksgiving that was yummy. Maybe I should do it again?!

Stacy's Designs 88 said...

That is too funny! That soup looks very delicious. Hope everything is going well for you in your new home. Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas) from Hawaii!