Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Suitcase Heart

My first order of business for 2009 was to make sure the chihuahua-terrier got some quality time outside. Lucky for the both of us, we woke up to a clear blue sky this morning. Thanks for your cooperation, Mr. Sunshine! Yet, not even my favoritest-stolen-ex-boyfriend-hooded-sweatshirt layered with two T-shirts and a heavily padded bra could protect me from being slapped around by the icy wind. And after throwing the ball and retrieving it myself twice while the chihuahua-terrier stared at me in disbelief before she scurried up the stairs, I followed suit. A complete retreat.

This is one of the things I still have not gotten used to living in Oklahoma. The sun shines so bright making your heart go pitter-pat with the anticipation of just a smattering of warmth on your cheeks. It beckons you outside only to deliver a swift head butt. I have fallen for this again and again and will probably continue to do so. The sunshine and me, we used to be friends and I know we will be again someday. As for the wind, he can suck it.

Since Plan A was derailed, I put iTunes on Party Shuffle and got busy. I was scurrying around pretending to do chores, when a song I had heard many times before SPOKE to me. This is quite the bizarre feeling, like maybe my iPod has been reading my mail or hacking into my text messages or simply WATCHING MY EVERY MOVE. Nonetheless, after listening to it, I thought, "Wow, that is exactly me, right now, at this moment, and everything I hope to get out of the next year." Which is saying a lot because I don't think I even know what that is other than that it sounds a lot like "Slow Pony Home" from The Weepies.

I'm going to post a link to it here instead of doing a re-cap of the last year and what I expect from the new year. It really is the ham in my 08-09 sandwich.

Also, do not fret over doggy's sun time. The wind eventually died down by the afternoon and until then, she made do:

New Years Day

3 comments:

Tiffany Teske said...

Hey Lady! How are ya? I just joined NaBloPoMo... are you in for January? Also, I am having a giveaway on my blog... come on over and join in the fun... http://tiffanyteske.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-do-you-think-giveaway.html

robyn said...

Happy New Year!
Ah, the weepies, I had no idea who they were other than the name sounded familiar. I expected it to be a male singer, but when I listened to the link I recognized the lead singers voice immediately. I must have given songs of theirs a thumbs up on my pandora. Thanks for the introduction, now I will have to explore them some more.

sweetcheese said...

How did I not know about the Weepies before? (I'm sure you told me to try them before.) I totally see how that song applies. How great to have a theme song. And a square of sunshine on the floor.