Monday, February 2, 2009

I'll sing these songs in a box with a fox or in a house with a mouse

On a road trip, my ex-boyfriend asks me not so delicately to please STOP singing along with the radio. At the time, I find this confusing. What does a sense of pitch or melody or tone have to do with a passionate delivery of lyrics that really speak to you? Shouldn't he recognize that I am carefree and full of joie de vivre and find me endearing for it? I have since heard myself sing and must say that no amount of performance ability can protect human ears from the noise I can create when I am "feeling it". My bad, dude. But you never did get me anyway. The song that I couldn't keep myself from singing that weekend was Ben Harper's "Save Tonight". Whenever it comes on the radio, I crank it up. "Tomorrow I'll be gone......."

Letterbox by They Might Be Giants

This song is super short, but you have to sing it really fast. "And I'll never never know, what you never never never want to know, when you know

What you are, oooooooooooooo."

Laid by James

This song is drrrty with lots of smarty pants lyrics. Saw these guys in concert, so I feel like I have a little bit of hands on experience on the delivery.

Mama Said Knock You Out by LL Cool J

Rap songs are a bad singers best friend! They are usually fairly monotone or often use funny voices. I would also sing almost anything from Cypress Hill or Beastie Boys.

7 comments:

Ann said...

Did plinky add those images?

I love James "Laid". Not only can I sing to it when I hear it, but I can play it on repeat and singalong each time as if it were the first time.

I'm fortunate because my husband loves and appreciates that I sing to all the songs. Actually, he's jealous because he never knows the words to songs. :)

Rosa Murillo said...

I absolutely LOVE laid!!! It's one of my favorites, when we had that "band" in college we would love to play that one, we were terrible, with a capital t.

FROZZ SUMMERS said...

I loved your blog! Glad I found it, Bye!

Stacy's Designs 88 said...

Guess the secret is to find that certain guy who believes that your singing is the "sweetest" or shall I say "cutest" thing he's ever heard. Then you know you found the right guy. Better start singing in crowded bars!

Maura said...

I love that song from James, too. I didn't like so much when another group covered it for some movie.

I love to sing passionately in the car, too, but I usually don't do it when someone else is riding along. I'm no American Idol.

FROZZ SUMMERS said...

don't stop writing!!! :)

thecraftbegins said...

hubby's just as bad. he gets all offended, but he sings like a deaf kid (no offense to the deaf intended)